Monday, December 05, 2005

Narnia under fire, defended in an unlikely place

Saw the standard PC Narnia and CSL bashing line in an article a friend sent me from the Chronicle of Higher Education. Upon reading the article he sent, I was pleasantly surprised. Jesus, the Bible, Intelligent design, certain words in the pledge, all may be at risk of ostracism in the classrooms and how higher education trains the classroom conduits of information, but apparently Aslan is able to remain. Or at least according to one COHE writer, thank GOD! Click to enjoy.

2 comments:

Solameanie said...

Joe,

I am amazed at the Lewis revisionism that I am seeing these days. Some on the liberal end of the theological spectrum are trying to claim him, but he would not appreciate it. He was no fundamentalist, but he wasn't a theological liberal, either.

BTW..Puddleglum is a favorite character of mine. So is Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh. Eeyore and I have a lot in common.

Greg Cross said...

Joe,

I too was reluctant to read the article (link to article below) you forwarded to me. However, I plowed through and was glad I did!

I felt that Nelson’s article was incredibly balanced and put forth the contextual ethos and true vision of what Lewis was “inspired” to cast. He dealt very thoughtfully and matter-of-factly with Pullman’s criticisms. I think Pullman wears his underwear much too tight! He also needs the grace and mercy of the Lord! Lord, because of your awesome grace have mercy on Philip Pullman. Amen.

Thanks Joe for the good read!

Greg Cross